Rising Tide Scholarship FAQ
1. Can I apply for Rising Tide Tier I?
- a. No. RTI scholarships are given out throughout the year by our Partner Organizations. They choose their own awardees based on their own criteria. This application is only for RTII and RTIII.
2. What is the difference between Rising Tide Tier II and Rising Tide Tier III?
- a. RTII and RTIII are identical scholarships, with the exception of the health sciences coursework component that is covered in RTIII in partnership with Walden University. Aspirants who apply for RTIII will enroll in Walden to complete the following courses online. Textbooks are included. Due to the number of components in the scholarship, we strongly recommend only enrolling in one course at a time.
- i. Introduction to Biology
- ii. Essentials of Human Anatomy and Physiology
- iii. Child Development
- iv. Statistical Methods and Applications
- v. Nutritional Science
- vi. Introduction to Psychology
- vii. Introduction to Sociology
3. What does the 90+ hours lactation training from LER include?
- a. Lactation training from LER will include our Lactation Consultant Training Program Enriched PLUS the general education courses. The five hour counseling course will be included as soon as it is published. Basic Life Support will be reimbursed.
4. Will I be a Certified Breastfeeding Specialist when I finish taking the LER courses?
- a. Yes! The LER coursework that you will complete during the program will afford you the Certified Breastfeeding Specialist certificate.
5. How will the clinical hours for Pathway 3 work?
- a. In partnership with Nikki & Nikki Lactation Career Consultants, LER will work to find you a suitable pairing to earn your clinical hours for Pathway 3. Hours may be earned through internship with Nikki & Nikki (in person or virtual or some hybrid of both), or through a placement that is local to you. If all options are exhausted and we are unable to find a suitable pairing for you, LER will assist in supporting you to earn clinical hours through a volunteer program using Pathway 1 instead.
6. What test prep books will be covered?
- a. The cost of a comprehensive lactation consultant text will be covered. Breastfeeding and Human Lactation is the text for the 90 hour course. Additional texts may be provided at LER’s discretion.
7. What if I fail the exam the first time?
- a. Great question! All initial coursework and exam fees will be covered. Subsequent courses and exams will not be covered by this scholarship.
8. How much time do I have to complete the program?
- a. According to the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners, lactation education is accepted within five years prior to sitting the exam. We recommend that you plan your process to complete all exam prerequisites within a 5 year period.
9. When will I be notified if I am awarded the scholarship?
- a. Scholarship awardees will be notified by August 31st at 11:59pm Eastern.
10. What if I’m not ready yet? Can I apply next year?
- a. Thank you for asking. This is a pilot program. We hope to make it available on an annual basis, but will need to evaluate the pilot before making that decision.