The 52+ Hour Core Lactation Consultant Course
An Entry Level Course of 52+ hours that awards a Certified Breastfeeding Specialist Certificate™ upon completion.
With successful completion of this entry-level lactation certification course, you will earn the Certified Breastfeeding Specialist (CBS). The CBS tells employers, families, and clients that you are an expert in supporting dyads through pregnancy, breastfeeding/chestfeeding initiation, and the normal course of lactation.
CLCC is designed for nurses, doulas and other birth workers, peer support counselors, physicians and other healthcare providers, and anyone else committed to supporting lactating families who would like to achieve lactation certification.
- This course provides 52+ hours of lactation-specific education (half of the training required for the IBCLC exam; hours count toward IBCLC exam)
- This course prepares you to offer individual support, lead lactation support groups, and teach lactation classes
- You’ll complete the lessons online, on your own time, at your own pace
- You will have access to your course for 365 days from your date of purchase; most students finish in 3-4 months
- This course is LEAARC recognized
- A textbook is required for this course and is available at a discount through the LER bookstore. When you enroll, additional information will be included in your welcome email.
- You must recertify as a CBS every five years to remain active (no additional exam is required)
- Each lesson in this course is focused on a specific topic and taught by a carefully selected subject-matter expert
- Lessons are updated at least every 3 years based on the most current research
- Video lessons include thought questions, interactive elements, and frequent opportunities to utilize new knowledge, as well as rich bibliography and additional resources you’ll use throughout your practice
- Explore the course syllabus
- Each instructor we choose is an expert in their subject matter and an active practitioner in the field
- Our coursework and instructors represent a diversity of thought, lived experiences, and perspectives, in keeping with our conviction that the lactation field is bettered by more and diverse voices representing the communities they support
Huge Bonus: You Will Be Eligible for LER HOURs
- As a CBS, you are qualified to participate in the LER HOURs program, a great way to earn the clinical hours you need for the IBCLC exam.
CBS: A Stepping Stone to the IBCLC
When you finish earning your CBS, you will be more than halfway to the lactation-specific education hours you need for the IBCLC exam! You can finish your hours by enrolling in our Lactation Consultant Bridge Course. You can also access your health sciences courses for less, earn your clinical hours, and take exam prep courses that ensure your success — all through LER.
- 52.75 L-CERPs
- 52.75 CMEs
- 52.75 Nursing Contact Hours
Key CBS Documents