Become a Clinical Mentor
Lactation Education Resources is please to provide a mentorship program which provides value to employers, mentors and interns.
For some people, finding a clinical internship can be one of the most difficult and frustrating parts of training for the IBLCE certification exam. Potential interns may contact many places before finding someone willing to mentor them. If you are a lactation consultant with several years of experience and are willing to take a fledgling lactation intern under your wing, please let us know.
What is required of a mentor?
- A clinical site willing to have an intern. Interns typically work 2-3 days per week on your time schedule.
- An Affiliation Agreement may be necessary to formalize the arrangement. Our internship director can work with your clinical site to establish the appropriate paperwork.
- An interest in providing knowledge and guidance to an intern.
Who would the intern be?
- Interns come from all backgrounds and are required to have 500 hours of clinical hands-on experience.
- Interns are eager to learn and are looking for a strong role model.
- Interns have completed a 90 hour Lactation Consultant Training Program.
What are the benefits of becoming a mentor?
- You earn L-CERPs from the IBLCE for working with an intern.
- Your hospital can earn one free 90 hour Lactation Consultant Course from Lactation Education Resources upon completion of a 500 hour internship with you to be given to a staff member of your choice.
- You will have the satisfaction of seeing a new member of our profession blossom into an excellent clinician. Free on-line training course provided for new mentors
- Many clinical sites and mentors go on to hire their interns once they have passed the IBLCE exam as they are assured of the quality of the candidate and the level of training they have obtained.