Recertifying by CERPs? LER has you covered.
Just Getting Started?
Find CERPs in Your Needed Area
Continuing Education Bundles
Recertifying in 2022? One Bundle Has You Covered
Already Completed an LER Course, But Need to Know the DCO Areas?
- Q. Should I confirm details of recertification with IBLCE?
A. Yes, always! IBLCE’s requirements are subject to change. Find information here.
- Q. How many CERPs do I need to recertify?
A. You need a total of 75 CERPs. The 75 CERPs must include 50 L-CERPs, 20 L-CERPs or R-CERPs and 5 E-CERPs.
- Q. What counts as a CERP?
A. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat proident.
- Q. How do I know what areas I need CERPs in?
A. Your specific CERP requirements are determined by the results of your Continuing Education Self Assessment (CE Self Assessment), a 70-question multiple choice test offered online by IBLCE for free. The CE Self Assessment is aligned to IBLCE’s Detailed Content Outline (DCO). This is the same document the IBLCE exam is based on.
- Q. How does my CE Self Assessment determine my CERPs needs?
A. It provides a percentage score in each DCO area. You are required to earn at least one CERP in each area where you earn less than 75 percent.
- Q. What is a Personalized Professional Development Plan and how do I get one?
A. IBLCE will send you an email with login details for the CE Self-Assessment Dashboard. After you complete your CE Self Assessment, your Personalized Professional Development Plan will be automatically generated. It lists the DCO areas where you need to earn at least 1 CERP to recertify.
- Q. When should I take the CE Self Assessment?
A. IBCLCs recertifying in 2022 were given access to the CE Self Assessment in October. Starting in 2023, IBCLCs will be given access 18 months after they certify or recertify. Look for an email from IBLCE with log-in details. Taking the test at the 18-month mark gives you 3 years to earn your needed CERPs before you must apply for recertification.
- Q. How many of my 75 total CERPs need to be based on my Personalized Professional Development Plan?
A. It depends on your recertification year, based on IBLCE’s phased roll-out of the new system. In 2022, 10 percent (7 CERPs) must be based on your personalized plan. In 2023, that number will be 30 percent (20 CERPs). In 2024 and beyond, 50 percent (34 CERPs) will need to be based on your plan.
- Q. How do I know which DCO areas a course covers?
A. All LER courses have been evaluated for DCO content areas. Simply click on the DCO area you need, and you will receive a list of our courses that cover that area. Choose individual courses, or browse our course bundles to find those that fit your needs. If you are recertifying in 2022, we have one bundle that will fulfill your Professional Development Plan, regardless of the results of your CE Self Assessment, since it contains at least 7 CERPs in each DCO area!
- Q. Do I have to document my CERPs when I apply for recertification?
A. You should keep careful records of the CERPs you complete alongside your Personalized Professional Development Plan. You will only need to present documentation to IBLCE if your application for recertification is audited.
- Q. I took one or more courses from LER before I took my CE Self Assessment. Can I count those CERPs toward my needed areas?
A. Yes, as long as the course covers the area you need. Locate your course on this table to find the DCO areas it covers.
- Q. If I am recertifying by CERPs, are there any other requirements?
A. Yes! You must engage in 250 hours of lactation consulting practice. In addition, you must take Basic Life Support or Neonatal Resuscitation Program training (this counts for 3 of your CERPs).
- Q. I still have more questions.