Do Lactation and Booze Mix?
An ethical, evidence-based approach
Liz Brooks, attorney and IBCLC, provides exactly what you need to counsel clients on the potentially sensitive issue of alcohol use during lactation in this clear, evidence-based discussion. You’ll leave with a thorough understanding of the biological facts, grounded in the research, and with a pragmatic, client-centered way to discuss the topic in a non-judgemental manner.
Take this course to learn:
- What happens biologically from the time a lactating parent takes a drink through when the infant metabolizes milk containing alcohol.
- The important and often misunderstood relationship between amount of alcohol the lactating parent consumes, time, and the dose the infant receives.
- What the scientific literature says about alcohol and lactation and about how consuming milk containing alcohol affects infants. (Prepare to be surprised.)
- How alcohol use affects oxytocin, prolactin, milk supply, and MER.
- The recommendations of major professional organizations around the world, and where their recommendations do and do not reflect the scientific evidence.
- What IBLCE and ILCA guiding documents communicate about the IBCLC’s role.
- How to discuss alcohol and lactation with your clients, provide evidence-based information in a dispassionate way, and respect the family’s role in making their own choices.
Liz Brooks, JD, IBCLC, FILCA, has specialized in ethics as a practicing attorney, works as a private-practice IBCLC, and is the author of textbooks, journal articles, and blogs on legal and ethical issues. She teaches in a clear, logical style that makes the information understandable, thought-provoking, and memorable–you’ll find yourself wishing the course wasn’t over at the end!
Other courses by this instuctor:
Legal and Ethical Concerns for the Lactation Consultant Continuing Education: Legal and Ethical Concerns for the Lactation Consultant
Also available as part of our Ethics Bundle (lactationtraining.com)Continuing Education: Ethical Issues for Lactation Consultants - Ethics Bundle (lactationtraining.com)
This course awards:
- 1.5 L-CERPs
- 1.5 Nursing Contact Hours
- 1.5 CMEs