Where to Start?
Congratulations on choosing a career in lactation consulting.
Lactation Education Resources is here to support you in your journey.
Becoming an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC)
An International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) is a member of the health care team. IBCLCs work in hospitals, clinics, and in the community, providing expert breastfeeding and lactation care.
The path to the IBCLC has four steps: choose a pathway, get your education, complete your clinical hours, and apply and sit for the exam.
There are three pathways you can choose from to complete these requirements, depending on your background and education. These requirements are established by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (IBLCE).
IBLCE’s rules and requirements change! Be sure to confirm the most recent requirements at iblce.org.
We are here to help you navigate the process of choosing and completing a pathway!
Becoming a Certified Breastfeeding Specialist
Certified Breastfeeding Specialists (CBS) educate and support families through pregnancy, breastfeeding initiation, and the normal course of lactation.
Lactation Education Resources (LER) has everything you need to become a CBS and start supporting your community right away.
There are two steps to become a CBS:
- Completing your online coursework
- Passing the CBS exam (included in your course)
The educational credits you earn on your way to becomming a CBS can count towards becoming an IBCLC if you later choose to pursue IBCLC certification.
Regardless of where you are on your path to becoming a lactation consultant, Lactation Education Resources (LER) has a course designed with you in mind.
FOR ASPIRING IBCLCs:
Lactation Consultant Training Program
- 95+ hours of lactation-specific education
- New! Now includes the 5-hour communications requirement
- Topics specifically aligned to IBLCE exam
- Can become a CBS after completing coursework and final exam
FOR ASPIRING CERTIFIED BREASTFEEDING SPECIALISTS:
Core Lactation Consultant Course
- 52+ hours of online instruction with expert instructors
- Support families right away
- Can be a stepping stone to the IBCLC
Lactation Consultant Bridge Course
- For those who completed 45 or more hours and want to complete the IBLCE lactation education requirement
- 45 hours of lactation-specific education
- Topics specifically aligned to the IBLCE exam
For those who have a 90 hour course and need to complete the new 5 hour requirement
Health Science Education
LER and its partners provide opportunities for you to complete the college courses and other general education requirements for sitting for the IBLCE exam.
Learn more about LER’s 100 and 500 hour internships
Feel confident and prepared to soar through the IBLCE exam.