What is the CBS (Certified Breastfeeding SpecialistTM) certification?
The Certified Breastfeeding SpecialistTM is our trademarked certificate that is awarded upon completion of one of the following: Our 90 hour LC Training Program - Enriched, our 45 hour LC Training Program - Core Phase 1, or our Breastfeeding Resources Nurse online course.
To view the Scope of Practice for a Certified Breastfeeding Specialist click here.
How long will I have access to my online course, can I review the lesson multiple times?
All of our online courses offer 1 year of access from your purchase date. Once you are finished and your completion certificate has been released via email, you can go back and re-view your lessons and/or re-take your final exam as many times as you wish until your 1 year end of access date. You may extend your access for another year with this extention form.
Can I become a Lactation Consultant if I am not a Nurse?
Which IBLCE Pathway is right for me?
Pathway 1 is generally for those who are licensed medical professionals that have already obtained a minimum of 1000 hours of lactation specific clinical experience through paid or volunteer work as a Recognized Health Professional and/or Recognized Mother Support Counselor.
Pathway 2 is for those who want to complete a college or university program in lactation management in order to become eligible to sit for the IBLCE Exam. Look for a program that is LEAARC Accredited.
Pathway 3 is generally for everyone else with varying experience and previous education.
Will these courses work on the iPad or Android Devices?
Apple has chosen not to make their iDevices with iOS Safari compatible with Flash. Many of our lessons are now HTML5 so you can use your iPad to view the lessons, we suggest using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. If you have any issues then we suggest that you use the Puffin web browser available here. MAC's including: MacBook's, iMac, Mac Mini, and Mac Pro do have Flash support and the OS X Safari browser is compatible with our courses, but you will need the Adobe Flash plugin enabled.
Is Lactation Education Resources an accredited training program? Yes!
- L-CERPs are awarded by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners. Lactation Education Resources, Long-term Providershtip CLT 109-31.
- Lactation Education Resources is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Virginia Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses' Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation, VNA # 16-03-03P.
- CPE's are awarded at the completion of the program. Lactation Education Resources is an approved provider by the Commission of Dietetic Registration #LA002.
How can I find a mentor for obtaining clinical hours?
You can ask any lactation consultant who has been certified for more than 5 years to be your mentor. If you do not know one, consider these options:
- Ask a pediatrician to whom he/she refers patients when they have breastfeeding problems
- Get names of LCs from the International Lactation Consultant Association (ILCA) website
- Go to the Find a Lactation Consultant page
- Meet local ILCA group members and lactation consultants in your area
- Attend your area Breastfeeding Coalition and meet the local lactation consultants
- Get names from a local La Leche League Leader. To find a league in your area go to http://www.llli.org
- Call your local hospital
You may have to ask many people before you find someone to work with you. Don’t get discouraged!